Saturday, December 17, 2005

Claiming A Place In Technorati

Greyhawk's Step Two was to "Get a Site Meter." I don't anticipate that being of much value for this blog, at least not while I'm building it. There is another service, however, that I am interested in learning about.

That service is Technorati. It is blog oriented, and I've always been interested in its usefulness. Since my business web site is not a blog per se, I never felt the need to register with Technorati. I focused on getting my business site registered with search engines.

Claiming a blog (i.e. registration) seemed easy enough. Until I got to the screen where they asked for my blog's id and sign-on. That made me a little uncomfortable, so the first time through I went through the hard way.

The hardest part was finding a likely place to put the javascript tag. They suggested that it be put in the sidebar section. I found a likely place aand everything seemed to work. Except there wasn't any logo displayed. I began to feel like my html ability had gone from some to none.

I let it drop for the evening. Figured I would address it Wednesday.

Wednesday I fired up the blog with a different computer, different browser. Ta-Daaa... the logo and the serch bar now appears. Nothing changed except the browser. Doesn't make sense they would only work with IE. Might be the settings on the browser at home.

Nope, works just fine with Foxfire too.

My guess is that I put it in an acceptable position in the template, but my preferences to the Technorati database wasn't getting updated as fast as I was bouncing between blogs and Technorati. I had a similar expeience with this blog. The name was appearing as the URL for some time, and then it changed to PiqueroBlog. Database lag isn't a new phenomenom, just something I need to keep in mind.

So, I have a little more confidence that I can change the template. A similar trick will be needed for the site meter. That's the next stop.

On To Hit Meters

No comments: