Friday, March 31, 2006

Back In Texas

Just spent most of the week in Los Angeles. Had a couple of back to back SME functions. One was a leadership conference, the other was a workshop on Lean tool and die making. Both were taking place with Westec as a backdrop.

The workshop turned out to be a dud. No one attended.

The leadership meeting was a follow-on to one we held in Oconomowoc last fall. There were about 60 people in attendance. Last year we had brainstormed "vision." This year the topic was metrics.

I got some favorable comments on a technique I used to collect ideas. The technique is called "brain writing." Mostly, I think it was because they hadn't seen the technique before. The technique generated about 200 ideas, which is modest with 60 people. But we only ran it about 10 minutes.

Ros Jay discusses the tool in her book "The Ultimate Book of Business Creativity." She attribute the creation to the Batelle Institute in Frankfurt, Germany.

I've found some references on the web, for example here and here. I use the technique as one of my examples in the brainstorming class. I use a sheet of paper rather than index cards.

No comments: